Friday, February 10, 2012

4 year old + steroids = one messy mama

Those of you that know me probably know that the little man is pretty sick, and a visit to the doctor confirmed it this afternoon. Thankfully, the sweet hubs offered to leave work early to take our little man, which left me with the glorious duty of picking up the meds. Three hours, three different pharmacies and $65 later I returned home with a nebulizer, steroid, and antibiotic. As I carefully read the instructions for all of the medicines and measured out the dosages, I laughed to myself...I knew there was no way our little guy was going to take any of this medicine (and I'd soon find out that I was right, as usual). The only hope I had for getting him to take the medicine was to bribe him with his ticket to the Bobcats/Clippers game for tomorrow night (I may have tried bubblegum, icecream, and oreos too). After about 45 minutes of squirming and screaming, I was able to squirt a little of each medicine down his throat. Go me, right? WRONG! Within seconds of squirting the medicine in his mouth I found myself covered in it. Poor little guy gagged and spit it all on me. I guess that's what I get, I mean I'm pretty sure I'd spit the ish out if someone forced it down my throat, wouldn't you? Thanks to facebook, I got quite a few tricks to try for the next round. An old sorority sister that works at a children's hospital suggested coating his tongue with peanut butter before giving him the medicine...it is supposed to help disguise the awful taste of the steroids. He seemed pretty intrigued when I mentioned the idea tonight, so we'll see how it goes in the morning. I"ll be sure to keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. SOOO I wonder when you will blog again?!? You better not disappoint! :)

    ReplyDelete